|The awards program recognizes member contributions in two award categories. Awards will be presented at the annual holiday party in December.
Health & Safety Award
This award recognizes the outstanding performance of a Local 1998 member towards fostering and promoting health, safety, and environmental issues in the workplace.
- Demonstrates a commitment to health and safety in the workplace. Commitment goes beyond the requirements of the employee(s) role; it is proactive and preventative
- Works towards continuous improvement of health and safety in the workplace. For example, activities/actions taken to prevent injuries or illnesses and the prevention of unsafe conditions or practices
- Encourages others to initiate health and safety policies and procedures
- Promotes effective integration of health and safety in planning processes in their work area
- Takes an active role in and being a strong advocate for health and safety
- Makes an extra effort to improve or correct a specific aspect of safety within the workplace
Making a Difference Award
To recognize a member who has had a positive impact on others and promotes the union’s values in the workplace that is respectful, collegial and supportive.
- Demonstrates sincere cooperation, a positive attitude and exceptional willingness to assist others
- Goes the extra mile to support the union’s initiatives and members in the workplace
Who Can Nominate?
Members in any of the five units (Staff-appointed, Casual, UTS, VIC, SMC) can nominate a member. Self-nominations are not eligible.
All Local 1998 members in good standing. Members of the Awards Committee are ineligible.
Nominations must be received by Thurs. Oct. 24, 2019 at 12:00 noon. Late nominations will not be accepted. Applications will be adjudicated by the Awards Committee. Completion of the Nomination Form is required and submission should be directed to Margaret Bucknam.
Number of Winners
The number of awards given out will depend on the number of entries received and the quality of the nominations.
Awards will be presented at the Local’s annual holiday party in December. The award winners will be featured in USW Local 1998’s Steeldrum.
Please contact Margaret Bucknam at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-506-9090 ext. 222 if you have questions about the nomination process.