Are you or your family members studying at U of T or other Ontario universities or colleges? The so-called “Student Choice Initiative” brought in by the Ford government allows students to opt-out of some ancillary fees when registering and paying their tuition. Widespread opting out will lead to serious de-funding of student unions, student media as well as some student services carried out by our members and administrative staff at other institutions. Here at U of T, the Family Care Office, the Sexual and Gender Diversity Office and the campus daycares are just some of the important services paid for by ancillary fees. We strongly urge you to opt-in to ancillary fees when you register, particularly if you’re benefitting from your staff tuition waivers for study at U of T. Support your university community and ensure that important student services are not de-funded. For more information on the impacts of the “Student Choice Initiative,” click here: https://cfsontario.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/WeTheStudents_GeneralFactSheet.pdf
The presentation below is from a Gilda’s Club Lunch & Learn sponsored by the Women of Steel committee on April 11, 2019:
2018 is the inaugural year for the USW Local 1998 Member Awards. The awards have been established to recognize member contributions in two award categories.
USW 1998 MEMBER AWARDS
HEALTH AND SAFETY AWARD
This award recognizes the outstanding performance of a USW 1998 member or members towards fostering and promoting health, safety, and environmental issues in the workplace.
- Demonstrates commitment to health and safety in the workplace. Commitment goes beyond the requirements of the employee(s) role; it is proactive and preventative
- Works towards continuous improvement of health and safety in the workplace. For example, activities/actions taken to prevent injuries or illnesses and prevention of unsafe conditions or practices
- Encourages others to initiate health and safety policies and procedures
- Promotes effective integration of health and safety in planning processes in their work area
- Takes an active role in and being a strong advocate of health and safety
- Makes an extra effort to improve or correct a specific aspect of safety within the workplace
MAKING A DIFFERENCE AWARD
To recognize a member who has a positive impact on others in the workplace and promotes a positive union environment that is respectful, collegial, and supportive
- Has performed a special act of kindness or service that has had a positive impact on other members
- Demonstrated sincere cooperation, a positive attitude and exceptional willingness to assist others
- Their efforts and contributions are above and beyond their regular job duties
Who Can Nominate?
Members in any of the five units (Staff Appointed, Casual, UTS, VIC, SMC) can nominate a member. Self-nominations are not eligible.
All Local 1998 members in good standing. Members of the Awards Committee will not participate in the decision-making process if nominated.
Nominations are open from Oct. 4 to 25, 2018. Completion of the Nomination Form is required. All nominations must be received by Thurs. Oct. 25, 2018 at 12:00 noon. Late nominations will not be accepted. Applications will be adjudicated by the Awards Committee.
Awards will be presented at the annual Holiday Party in December. The award winners will be featured in USW Local 1998’s Steeldrum.
Please contact Margaret Bucknam at email@example.com or 416-506-9090, ext. 222 if you have questions about the nomination process.
Please join us as we celebrate our 20th Anniversary
STG Campus: Thursday, June 21, 2018
Member Meeting: 3:30 p.m.
BBQ: 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
25 Cecil St.
Download the poster
UTM Campus: Tuesday June 26th, 2018
12:00 to 2:00 pm
Location: CCT Courtyard
UTSC Campus: Wednesday June 27th, 2018
12:00 to 2:00 pm
Location: H-Wing Patio
*Location will move to HW 305 if it rains
*Video of the NEXTGEN Lunch & Learn presentation “Trudeau, Trump & Trade: What is at Stake for Our Future” from February 9th 2017
*This letter to President Meric Gertler has been sent on behalf of USW Local 1998, CUPE 1230, CUPE 3902 and APUS (CFS 97)
UPDATE: Response from Meric S. Gertler, Office of the President (pdf)